Saturday, October 2, 2010

What I Learned from Kelly Cutrone

“When you’re following your inner voice, doors tend to eventually open for you, even if they mostly slam shut at first.”

No, these aren’t the words of an inspirational talk-show host or lines from a sappy self-help book. They are wise words from sharp-tongued PR maven Kelly Cutrone’s book, “If You Have to Cry, Go Outside.” After reading the book, I learned that there is more to her than her scenes on shows like The Hills and Kell On Earth, her all black outfits, and her brutally honest comments.

I was pleasantly surprised by the encouraging and maternal tone of the book. Cutrone offers some great advice for all Public Relations hopefuls, not just those working in Fashion PR. My PR focus is non-profit, with a strong interest in museums and art. I never thought a Fashion PR book could relate to me and motivate me to step out of my comfort zone to get what I truly want in life, but I was wrong!

Here are the best things I learned from Cutrone’s book:

Surround Yourself with the Right People
Cutrone talks a lot about surrounding yourself with people who will guide you in the right direction and help you figure out what you want to do with your life. She says, “Start by identifying people in your community you look up to and then, graciously and with their blessing, use their hard work and experience to your advantage. Pick their brains.”

Treat Internships and Early Jobs Like Gold
Cutrone treats her interns like family and expects hard work and complete dedication from them in return. She explains just how important internships and entry-level jobs are, no matter what the tasks include. Picking up dry-cleaning and going on coffee runs may not be so glamorous, but those jobs will lead to bigger and better things in the future, she says.

“Give Good Phone”
One of the most beneficial things I learned from reading Cutrone’s book is to always rely on the phone to get things done. Forget the Blackberry, Twitter, or even standard emails. In PR, communication is key, and the best and most successful communication comes from actually speaking to someone, not having them read it off a screen.

This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member Mackenzie Krott.

No comments: