Sunday, January 9, 2011

Is College the Right Time to Travel Abroad?

Each year, over 200,000 American students study abroad in foreign locations. Although most students would jump at the chance to learn in another country, there are a lot of factors that could weigh into that decision, especially when it comes to school.

As for me, I have known that I would be studying abroad since I was a kid. It’s always been a part of my “plan,” and I planned accordingly. But for so many, things in college can come up and prevent a student from going abroad. A sacrifice of extra-curricular activities, correct sequence of classes, and even social life can hold someone back from studying abroad- and that isn’t a bad thing!

The hardest factor in my decision was having to put all of my activities on hold, especially those that are helping me prepare for a future job. For public relations majors, experience is key and not having any public relations classes or involvement is a huge risk. One idea for public relations majors studying abroad is to obtain a foreign internship. By understanding a foreign company, one could come back to America with an even greater understanding of people and how the world communicates.

What are your thoughts on studying abroad in college?

This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member Mackenzie Krott.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's nice to see how the youth of America starts a game plan for the future ahead of time. Game plans and agendas help to keep you organized.