Sunday, August 7, 2011

Staying 'PR' focused while Studying Abroad

I have recently been referring to my upcoming semester in Rome as a dilemma- not because I am not looking forward to it (ask anyone, I AM!) but because it is really starting to affect my development and opportunities as a PR major. We all know that experience is key when it comes to working in the public relations field- and being out of the country taking four art history classes isn't getting me too far ahead.

However, from seeing other PR students spend time abroad, I’ve come to realize a few benefits of this time spent in another country. I’ve come up with a few ways that I (and any other communications student) can keep involved and connected while studying abroad:

1. WRITING -- I plan on keeping an in-depth blog while I learn, live, and travel in Italy. After researching different travel blogs and speaking with other students who have done the same, I've realized that this is one of the greatest benefits of studying abroad. Telling a story and captivating an audience is a key task that PR pro's must be able to master. I also hope to be able to contribute to other travel blogs and websites as well.

2. KEEPING AN ONLINE PRESENCE -- With the amount of knowledge I've learned from social media over the past year or so, it would be very hard for me to abandon it simply because I'll be out of the country. I do however, want to live 'la dolce vita' and not be consumed with my laptop and other things the entire time, but I will try my best to stay actively involved with the people I have made connections with through using social media. And with maintaining my presence online, I also strive to keep up with industry news, trends, and current events back home in America.

3. BECOMING GLOBALLY AWARE -- I haven't thought of it much before, but living on the other side of the world for four months has some hidden perks. It could give me a definite edge over those who I may be soon competing with for internships and even jobs after graduation. Understanding and living within another culture could greatly benefit me when it comes to targeting specific audiences in future jobs. I think living as an outsider in another culture will teach me not only patience, but respect and appreciation of other types of people. And that in itself has the power to help with any type of job.

This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member Mackenzie Krott.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm happy to see you were able to look at this in a positive way. Now you can really focus on making the best out of your travels. Good Luck and have fun.

xo