Sunday, January 8, 2012

Crossing the Pond

As I run down my checklist of things to pack for my semester in London I begin to make another checklist. Instead of toiletries and shoes, this list immediately seems more important. This list includes the things I hope to bring to, and take away, from my internship abroad. While I will not know my internship placement until I officially cross the pond, there are some general guidelines I plan to follow:

  1. Have an open mind. Easier said than done. But the last thing I want to do is waste time being stuck in an American bubble. Opening up to new experiences is what studying abroad is all about and I plan on bringing that openness to my internship.
  2. Be patient. Adapting to a new culture and work environment is going to prove challenging. I must remind myself to be patient with change and new norms that will come with working abroad.
  3. Offer opinions. When appropriate, it is important to bring my thoughts and ideas to the table. Giving input will prove my interest in the field and help make me more involved in the workplace.
  4. Act eager. Even as I adjust to a new culture and way of life, showing my readiness to learn and work will make a positive impression to my employer.
  5. Build relationships. As a PR student, I am constantly told how networking and relationships will take me far throughout my career. While I may not plan on staying in London permanently, building relationships with professionals abroad may still help me make a connection back in the States.
I can’t predict what the next 3 months will bring me but I do know that open communication, an eagerness to learn, and networking abroad will help shape me into a more well-rounded PR student when I return home.

Until April, America! Cheers!

This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member Tara Innamorato.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you going to continue to blog while you are there?

PRowl Public Relations said...

Hi Maggie! Tara will not be blogging for PRowl while she's in London, but we're sure she'll have plenty to blog about once she's back!