Saturday, June 21, 2014

Get Ready To Blog!


Ever since I attended PRSSA National Conference last October, I decided I wanted to start my own blog. There are some lifestyle blogs I have been following for years , and numerous speakers at conference stressed how beneficial personal blog are for your personal brand.
I have always loved to write and decided to start my blog as soon as school ended in May because I was too busy during the school year. I really didn’t know where to start, so I began asking mentors and friends how they began their blogs. I got some great advice and launched my blog June 1. Here are some tips to anyone out there that is considering starting their own blog.

Decide what you want to write about
First, brainstorm ideas to figure out the best theme for you and your blog. Some blogs are super specific and only write about fashion or food or are strictly public relations related. Think about what you’re passionate about and what you enjoy. For me, I wanted a life style blog where I could write about several topics like work, school and family.

Choose a platform
There are many different websites to create your blog. Some of the more popular ones are Wordpress, Blogger and Blogspot. I went with Wordpress because many people said it was one of the most professional and popular platforms. Play around with a few and see which one suits you because they all have pros and cons.

Personalize it
After picking a platform, customize your blog. This is the best way to stand apart from the thousands of other blogs out there. Find a font and color that represents you. In my blog, I added pictures and quotes that showcase my personality. There are definitely a lot of restrictions using the free themes on Wordpress, but every details speaks volumes.

Make a schedule
 Most blogs start out strong , but slowly the blogger loses interest and gets too busy to post. Don’t let this happen to you! Pick a schedule of how often you want to blog. Right now, I am blogging about once a week. Make time in your schedule to sit down and write. Ideas will come to you at random times like when you’re at work or eating dinner. Jot them down and go back later to see if you can create a post from it.

Overall, have fun and take chances. If you don’t like sometime you can always go back and fix it. Don’t forget to check your spelling and grammar over and over. Please check out my blog here Do It With Passion Or Not At All.

Are you thinking of starting a blog? Comment below and we can learn something new together!

This guest blog post was written by PRowl staff member Shaun Luberski.

No comments: