With the scorching heat and week-long beach trips, it’s hard to imagine that the fall semester is just around the corner. But the days of early morning classes and late nigh studying are quickly approaching, which means searching for a fall internship starts now. By beginning early, you avoid the stress of last minute applications, giving yourself plenty of time to find that perfect fall internship. Check out these few simple steps to help you find the ideal place for you this fall.
- Think of your personal interests and hobbies. Reflecting on activities you enjoy can help you find an organization or company you would like interning with. You’ll get more out of an internship experience when you are working on something that truly interests you.
- Consider the long term. Is there a specific agency or organization you would like to work for one day? Many internships lead to eventual full-time positions which is something to remember when researching potential internship opportunities.
- Gauge office culture. If you are considering interning with a specific organization, look at their website and social media accounts to try and determine what the office environment is like. Would you work best in a relaxed and collaborative setting or one which allows you to work independently?
- Establish goals. What experiences do you want to get from an internship? Will this internship allow you to reach these goals on a personal and professional level?
- Look for recommendations. Has a friend or fellow student worked with an organization you are interested in? Although not every internship experience will be the same, as them about their time spent working there. A poor review might indicate an office may not have the strongest internship program.
When looking for a fall internship, it’s important to do your research. Knowing both yourself and your prospective internship options will make it easier to determine what will be a good fit for you.
How did you find an internship that was perfect for you? Let us know!