Monday, January 26, 2015

The Importance of Blogging

If you are like me, you have always wanted to be ahead of the game.

As a PR major, I always want to be informed of the newest social media tools, most innovative press release format, and more.

However, there is one thing that I have been hesitating to do: starting a blog.

Even though I realize it is important to be able to show potential employers that I have writing skills (particularly through writing short pieces for audiences on the internet), I feel as though keeping up with a blog and designing it will take more time and energy than I can afford.

Of course, I am wrong.

Creating a blog isn't only a necessity for a PR major, but it is as easy as taking a few minutes to create a username and password.

While at my new job, I discovered the simplicity of creating a blog through WordPress.
By selecting a theme and title, you are able to create your own blog, and if you are quick, it can be created in under 10 minutes!

Another concern that I have about creating a blog is the content. It can be hard to come up with endless content. However, blogging doesn't have to be rocket science!

Blogging what you know will lead to more content while ensuring that you are enjoying what you are writing about. If you are interested in books, you can write about your reactions to the novels you finish. If you are interested in professional development or have inspiring tales from your own experiences, you can share them on your blog!

In the end, I still haven’t created a blog, but I plan on doing so soon. As a student who is looking for the next big thing in PR, my next step is to build my blog from the ground up.

Are you putting something off that will enhance your PR skills? If so, let us know!

No comments: