Monday, October 6, 2008

Resume Tips

Yesterday we posted some examples of some extra creative and awesome resumes.

However, some of us are not that creative (though we should all strive to be!) so I would like to give a few tips on the classic one-page resume.

Remember that when applying for a job, your resume needs to set you apart. There needs to be something special about you that makes the potential employer put your resume in the yes pile.

-Grammar and spelling! If there is one thing I have learned, especially in PR is that one spelling mistake can cost you a job or internship. Check, double-check, and then check again, to make sure that there are no errors.

-Internships count as work experience! Just because you didn't get paid, doesn't mean it wasn't work. I used to think that extracurricular activites (like PRowl Public Relations) would just count as an activity on my resume, but was told by a PR professional that the experience I am getting there is valuable and needs to be addressed as a work-experience. I then moved it to work experiences and wrote up details about what I do, and every interview I have had since, I have been asked about it.

-One-page! Keep it to one page. Only the important things need to be on the resume. It's really cool that you were the editor of your high school newspaper, but that might not be the most important thing for your resume at this point in time. Try to keep it current, and to the things that will most impress a potential employer.

-Quantify- You did 42 press releases at your last internship? WOW. Instead of just writing, "Drafted press releases," include the number! This lets the potential employer know that you were trusted enough by the company to do actual work, and numbers are impressive.

I know I am missing a lot of tips here, but I specifically left this open because I would like to start a discussion in the comments section.

Students and PR professionals alike, please let us know your best resume tips!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've provided some great tips. Quantifying the results is critical and often overlooked.

Here are some tips for resumes that resonate that I created for my students at Georgia Southern University: http://publicrelationsmatters.com/2008/04/16/resumes-that-resonate-tips-for-entry-level-positions/

And I'm always happy to follow and be followed by PR students on Twitter. Send me a @barbaranixon !