Sunday, November 13, 2011

Dream Big and GO FOR IT!

Landing your dream internship is something everyone strives for, but actually obtaining it takes more work then you probably could imagine. Everyone in the back of his or her mind has a dream job, whether it is with the government, a non-profit, etc. For me, it’s the fashion industry. Lets face it, these days the competition in the job market is more intense then usual, and in order to get your perfect internship you have to be prepared.

Ever since I could remember I wanted to work in the fashion industry. I’m not too sure if it is because of the fast-paced environment, the different roles you could play, or just my undying love for the art that is fashion, but I knew I wanted all of it, and when the opportunity of a marketing internship at Urban Outfitters arose I knew it was my big break, and I couldn’t mess it up.
So how did I do it? Well, I remember taking a marketing course at Saint Joseph’s University before transferring to Temple University and there was a book which went along with the course called, Brand You, which was written by a professor at Saint Joseph’s University, Kim Richmond. I turned to this book for guidance through out the entire process. It helped me with every aspect, from branding myself to mastering my cover letter and resume, to even preparing for the interview.

First, when I found out about the internship I did as much research as possible about what it entailed, even before I wrote my cover letter! I printed out the job description and picked it apart piece by piece. Understanding the company’s history, researching the job requirements, and getting to know their website inside and out. This wont just help you be prepared for what you’re going to be asked in the interview but it will also help you personalize a cover letter specifically for the internship, which brings me to my next step.

Crafting the perfect cover letter and resume is the next action that should be taken to get that interview. Your cover letter is your opening of who you are and why you deserve the internship which you’re applying for. Let whoever is reading your letter know you have done your research about the company and role while telling them about yourself. Same thing with your resume, make it your own and brand yourself for the job you want, this is the first thing your interviewers are going to know about you.

Okay, so now you landed a face-to-face interview, which is the scary part. A thousand questions running through your mind, “What are they going to ask me?” “What should I ask them?” “What should I wear?” This is normal, don’t worry, you never know what is going to happen, but you could prepare, trust me. When you researched the company and analyzed the job description, a majority of the questions they are going to ask you is going to be regarding the internship. Along with the questions that they ask you, you should also be ready to ask them questions as well, but these questions are ones that usually will come up during the interview, so pay attention! Knowing what to wear to the interview is also crucial, believe me. Not every internship you’re applying for is going to be business professional or casual, I’ve had those internships but my internship now, with Urban Outfitters, isn’t and I figured that out by simply asking the HR college recruiter what the dress was.

Now you’re in the homestretch, you had your interview and you left the building, but its not over yet. A thank you note is one of the most important parts of an interview, and most people forget this part. Everyone you met with during your interview, and your HR recruiter, had to take time out of their busy schedules to talk to you, and that isn’t easy. A simple email saying thanks for the opportunity and letting them know you are here if they have anymore questions will remind them who you are, if they met with multiple candidates, and give you a better chance of landing the job.

The final advice I have is to be confident! There is nothing more assuring than believing in yourself and knowing that you could do it. So go out there, find your dream internship, and go for it!


This guest blog was written by PRowl Public Relations staff member Meghan Ceselsky.

No comments: