Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dreamweaver: Your Personal Promotional Tool?

Technology and digital media have become a huge part of the public relations field. This is precisely the reason that I decided to take a 'cyberspace and society' class this semester. This class has touched on everything from ethical computer dilemmas to video editing and web design. Recently, I developed my own website as a class project, and had an awesome time doing it!

Temple University hosts space for each of its students to build their own website in something called their 'astro' account. The project consisted of setting up my personal 'astro' account, learning how to use Adobe Dreamweaver software and then designing and publishing my own working webpage. The entire process only took me about fifteen hours from start to finish (not bad for a tech newbie) and I really enjoyed learning the structure of websites that I use everyday. I designed my website to act as a sort of extended business card. It includes my resume as well as a synopsis of my bio, education, extracurriculars and internship. I plan on ordering business cards in the next month to help with my search for a job in the spring and I definitely feel like adding my website to the card is a great way to promote myself to prospective employers. I even have a form on the website where people can contact me directly.

I feel like my new knowledge of Adobe Dreamweaver will also help me in getting my first job. I browsed a list of PR job postings on monster.com recently and three of them mentioned Dreamweaver skills as a plus. Next semester I plan on expanding my digital media skills by taking a 'technology in media' course to get as much technical experience as possible. You should think about doing the same!

Check out my website at http://astro.temple.edu/~tua47296

1 comment:

UPrinting Reviews said...

Dreamweaver is a very convenient tool for web designers. And since anyone who knows how to use this program can make their own website, their website will make a good promotional tool for anything they want. Even a blog. :)