Monday, November 23, 2009

Good to Great

I began work at my new part-time job this weekend and began the challenging but exciting process of learning my new responsibilities and the ins and outs of the company.

One thing about this particular company that I thought was really cool was the fact that the company offers a lending library for its employees. These include books, recordings and DVDs that help convey industry-specific knowledge, as well as more general materials that can help employees and the company reach their full potential. The company also has a "book of the month" club, for which each employee must read a specific text and discuss ways that the book's ideas are - and can be- reflected in the company's operations.

The first book I'll be asked to read is entitled "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. According to Amazon.com, the author of this book (along with the help of his 21-person team) sorted through "1,435 companies, looking for those that made substantial improvements in their performance over time." The team chose 11 companies and "discovered common traits that challenged many of the conventional notions of corporate success."

I'm anxious to read this book and find out both what the 11 traits were and what implications they had within the companies that possess them! I'll be sure to blog about the book's lessons as I read it in the upcoming weeks.

Have you read this book? If so, what were your thoughts? Does your company offer a lending library and or a book club?

No comments: