Friday, December 6, 2013

5 PR Lessons from Classic Disney Movies

I recently took a family vacation in Disney World and relived many of my childhood memories. Seeing all of the attractions based on these very familiar Disney characters was such an amazing experience.

Early on in childhood, Disney taught us many life lessons. I learned that a dream is a wish your heart makes and that sometimes you’ve just gotta say “Hakuna Matata.” However, little did I know that some of the lessons from my favorite Disney films also inadvertently taught me a lot about PR. Standing in Disney World's Magic Kingdom I realized that I have been PR my entire life. Turns out, Walt Disney and Disney Corporation have produced movies for decades to help educate children and adults on how to be effective public relations professionals!

Here are a few very crucial PR lessons from five of my favorite classic Disney films:

1. Cinderella - Be Timely

2. Pinocchio - Be Transparent

3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Rely On Your Network

4. Pocohantas - Passion Drives Results

5. Little Mermaid - Take Risks

As Walt Disney has taught us, every story has a lesson that can be applied to our lives, both personal and professional. PR pros should consider heeding every warning this classic films have given to us. What other PR lessons have you found in Disney films? We want to know!


No comments: