Digital seems to be the newest and greatest thing in communication in the last twenty years. It’s like a shiny new toy that everyone has to have and can’t think of anything else. In the industry’s great excitement over digital, they've nearly completely forgotten about traditional media and the value they hold. But PR pros don’t have to choose between either digital or traditional because the most effective communication campaign engages its audience using a mix of both.
Pros of Print
- It’s an experience. Studies have proven that print material creates a sensory experience for readers as they thumb through pages or write out notes. They’re also more likely to remember information they read in print through this physical interaction compared to reading it on screen.
- Print permanence. Longevity may not be your first thought when you think of print but readers tend to revisit printed material even after they’ve read it. This allows your message to get across time after time.
- Credibility. People generally tend to believe the written word so there’s a level of credibility that comes with print. A message seems more legitimate to readers when it is presented in print as opposed to online.
Pros of Digital
- It’s timely. Digital allows you to share your message instantly. This way, your content can stay current and up to date. Possibly the best example of the power of being timely is Oreo’s notorious Super Bowl blackout Tweet.
- Highly interactive. Digital allows for interactivity with a target audience in a way print could never achieve. Readers can comment, share and engage with others bringing the experience to a whole new level.
- Available analytics. With digital, it’s simple to track who is reading your content, how long they’re on your page and even if they share it. Having access to this information will allow you to better target your content in the future.
You’re able to reach your target audience in a number of ways by using both media. Creating a balance in your message with a marriage of traditional and digital media is the ideal way to create an effective public relations campaign.