Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another Internship Good-Bye...

Six months ago I began my internship at Cashman & Associates… and this past Monday was my last day.

First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone at the company and of course, my amazing supervisor Dana Lombardo. Over the past months I have learned such a great deal about public relations, special events and working with the media in Philadelphia. I’m appreciative for the opportunity and the chance to meet some really talented people. From every employee to my fellow interns, some of whom have become my good friends, I’m grateful to have got to know everyone.

So what did I learn from it all? So very much, indeed. Everything from maintaining client recaps, clipping hundreds of media hits and of course writing various materials including updating press kits materials, to media advisories, press releases, event postings and more.

Considering it all, what would I recommend for future interns? I’ll let them fend for themselves. Just kidding! I’ll offer a few light-hearted tips.

-Master the tech!
Whether it is computers, copy machines, fax machines or printers. Get ready to try and figure them out. Every office is different and the technology can be challenging at times. There are always tricks and tips, so don’t be afraid to ask other interns for help, especially if you can’t figure it out. Nothing’s worse than taking 30 minutes to make 5 copies, but don’t worry you’ll get it eventually.

-Always have your cell!
I don’t mean carry your cell phone with you around the office or text, or answer calls while you’re working… What I mean is, when you’re out running errands it’s important to have your phone with you. In case you have a question or something comes up while you’re out, you can easily call the office.

-Clean your car!
This is just to avoid silly embarrassment. You might have to drive, drop off or pick up a co-worker somewhere and there’s nothing worse than explaining that your car might not be the best choice for transportation at that moment (because there’s left-over or tons of wrappers and trajavascript:void(0)sh in the back seat). So try to keep it sort of clean at least.

That’s all for now. Gooooood luck!

No comments: