Friday, April 17, 2009

Perez Hilton: Just Another Celebrity?

So, I know I know, Twitter is huge and has been for a few months now. Although I had created an account (to make our PR Director, Jessica Lawlor, stop bugging me about it!) I never actually “tweeted.”

Wednesday night I made my first official tweet. I wanted to use every channel possible to get the word out there that PRowl Public Relations secured our first TV spot for a client. Since then, I haven’t been able to get off! If you thought Facebook was a stalker machine, get on Twitter. Celebrity obsessed? Get on Twitter. Watch them chat back and forth; it can be quite amusing. I am guilty of doing so for a few minutes (okay, maybe more than a few…). While following the Ashton Kutcher vs. CNN Twitter war, I somehow got on Perez Hilton’s Twitter. It seems he’s quite friendly with many celebrities now and even jokes back and forth with some, like Spencer Pratt of MTV’s “The Hills.”

The only reason I care about this is because I started thinking: how will his increasing fame and celebrity friendships affect his gossip blog? Perez Hilton was known for entertainingly making fun of celebrities (for example, Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag). Now, he’s tweeting with them and posting blogs about how great her music is!

What do you think? Will you keep reading his blog if it becomes just another channel to promote his celebrity friends’ projects, or will you change blogs to a site a little more scintillating?

By the way, if you're on Twitter, follow me: @jscofield

No comments: