Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Looking Back On A Great Intership

Today was the last day of my internship at the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau. I absolutely LOVED it there, but it had to end eventually. As I was having my "good-bye, good-luck and thank-you" lunch with my boss and two other people that I helped out through the semester, we talked about my three months at the PCVB.

I was asked what I liked the most, what I liked the least, what I learned, etc. Then they asked me what I would tell an incoming intern to be prepared for. That one definitely got me, but after I thought about it for a few seconds, I think I had it. We all know that writing is key and we've heard it so many times before. But it's so true! You definitely need to know how to write well. But not only do you need to know how to write well, you need to know what audience you're writing for. I learned how to tweak my writing for different audiences, and I know it will help me in my future!

I had a great time at the PCVB. I made some great professional relationships, became friends with the other interns, gained great PR contacts, and learned SO MUCH!

It is so important to get internship experience. It should be a requirement, because the work you do there is so different from the textbook and classroom.

No comments: