Monday, May 25, 2009

Becoming a Blogger

Since becoming director of public relations for PRowl Public Relations, I have already learned a lot! One of the most important things I have learned over the last few weeks relates to this very blog.

As a student of public relations, I have a special interest in social media. I am active on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, but- up until taking this position with PRowl Public Relations- had little experience with or knowledge about blogs.

One of my new responsibilities is the upkeep of this blog. My predecessor Jessica Lawlor taught me the ins and outs of how to run the blog, including how to post to the blog, how to use the labeling system, how to post to the future, how to link within a blog entry and how to edit posted entries.

I feel that these skills are really important to my future career as a public relations professional, especially because social media is proving to be a valuable medium through which various publics can be engaged. Knowledge about how to blog is an important social media skill, but it is also important for understanding how to work with bloggers in order to spread messages in the future. I have also found blogging to be a great writing exercise.

Learning the basics of PRowl's blog has sparked my interest and drawn me into the blogosphere on a deeper level; I have come to understand blogs and blogging a lot more and see blogs as a valuable means of learning and sharing with others. I recently established a Google Reader and subscribe to twelve blogs (so far). Who knows, maybe I'll even start my own blog one of these days.

Here are some PRowl Public Relations members (past and present) that have gone on to start their own blogs. Be sure to check them out:
  • Staff Member Evan Nicholson, who is currently interning in Los Angeles. She will be blogging about her experiences as she travels and interns this summer.
  • Reilly Fies, former secretary and director of finance. Reilly is studying at Temple Rome this summer and has started a blog about traveling.
  • Jessica Lawlor, who is also studying at Temple Rome this summer. She will be blogging about her experiences in Philly, Rome and everywhere in between.

No comments: