Monday, May 4, 2009

Top 5 Things I Learned Being Director of PR for PRowl Public Relations

My time in PRowl Public Relations is quickly coming to an end. As I may have mentioned before, I'm unfortunately leaving PRowl Public Relations at the end of this semester...but for good reason!

Next year, I'll be Temple University's PRSSA chapter president. I'm very excited about this opportunity, but I'm sad to see my time at PRowl Public Relations end.

I'll bid you my official goodbye next Monday but for now, I'd like to share the top 5 things I learned being PRowl Public Relations' Director of Public Relations.

1. Social Media, Social Media, Social Media- I can't stress enough how important social media is. Without PRowl Public Relations, I probably never would have learned to blog or tweet, and thank goodness I did! The opportunities that come from social networking are incredible. I'm so glad I got the chance to expand my network and to learn how to use these crucial tools.

2. Organization is key- Whether it's collecting clips or organizing calendar dates on Blackboard, organization is so crucial to a PR practicioner. It's important to save everything to ensure that everything is in its proper place. It's also important to make sure everything is organized to ensure seamless transitions when a new person comes into the firm or takes on a leadership position.

3. Connect with PR students at other schools- Through Twitter, I've gotten the opportunity to network with PR students from all over the country, including other students who work for student-run PR firms. It's great to hear what their firms are doing, and to get advice. Remember, though we may go to different schools now, we will all be working together in the very near future!

4. Learn to compromise- As part of a board of directors or in any kind of leadership position, you're not always going to get your way. Learn to make compromises in order to maintain strong relationships.

5. Writing- I know as a PR student you're probably sick of hearing about the importance of writing, but the reason you keep hearing it is because it really is important. During my time in PRowl Public Relations I've written PR plans, PR plan evaluations, blog posts, tweets, brochure text, Web site text and hundreds of e-mails. No matter what the type of writing, make sure it's 100 percent perfect.

No comments: