Thursday, June 7, 2012

Closing Night, Interning at a Theater.

As my internship comes to an end, I have reflected on how I have grown and what I have learned during my time at The Wilma Theater. My internship experience at the Wilma has varied greatly from all of the other professional experience I have aquired. From photo shoots, to working with actors, to press kits, to hanging up reviews, interning at a non-profit theater is an experience in and of itself.

For those of you who haven't heard of The Wilma Theater, the Wilma is a non-profit theater located in the heart of Center City, Philadelphia. The Wilma is known for bringing innovative plays to the community that one wouldn't find at a 'traditional' theater. This is one of the many reasons why I love the Wilma.

At the Wilma I served as the Public Relations intern and worked directly under the Public Relations Manager, Johnny Van Heest. Since my department consisted of only my manager and myself, I had the rare opportunity to help create original content such as press releases and fact sheets.  One advantage I have found working in small theaters and organizations is that you will have many opportunities to work on projects in various departments and areas throughout the organization. The work was fastpaced, and challenging but I worked hard because I loved who and what I was working for. The payoff for all of my hardwork came when my manager, while on vaccation, allowed me to manage and create original content for the Wilma's social media sites. This opportunity is one that I would not have been afforded had I interned at a large corporation or even at a  for-profit theater.

My time at the Wilma was immensely rewarding and I gained a vast amount of invaluable experience. It was truely a pleasure to intern at an organization with such talented and dedicated staff and artistic talent. Although my time as an intern has come to an end, I will remain an avid advocator, Facebook friend, and patron. Thank you. Additionally, if you haven't seen the Wilma's current production of Angels in America, I highly recommend attending!

So, when looking for your next internship, think outside the box! Have you ever interned at a theater before? If so, what was your experience?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Definitely sounds like you have had a great experience! I dream of working directly with a Public Relations person as you did!. Good Luck with your future endeavors.